Occupational wellness inspires us to prepare for work in which we will gain personal satisfaction and find enrichment in our life. Your attitude about work is a crucial influence for occupational development. Occupational wellness allows you to explore various career options and encourages you to pursue the opportunities you enjoy the most. This dimension of wellness recognises the importance of satisfaction, enrichment and meaning through work.
Developing occupational satisfaction will allow you to communicate your values through involvement in occupational activities that are gratifying for you. It is also important to identify workplace stress in order to practice conflict management. Conflict management is key to achieving an optimal level of occupational wellness. Working takes up a majority of your time during the week, so the way you feel about your work contributes to your overall well-being.
When you embark on the route to occupational wellness, you will discover what occupational opportunities are out there and which opportunities suit you best. Maintaining occupational wellness allows you to develop unique skills and talents that are both personally and professionally rewarding. Below are some suggestions to begin your journey to occupational wellness.
- Reflect on yourself and your occupational needs. What occupational tasks do you enjoy? What occupational tasks do you find burdensome?
- Explore both paid and un-paid work and volunteer opportunities that interest you.
- Practice open communication and proper conflict management with your colleagues.
- Set realistic career goals for yourself and constantly work towards accomplishing these goals.
- Strive to find an occupation that enables you to create time and financial freedom.